Sep 7, 2010

Grandparents



My Mom has all the good pictures of my ancestors- these are of my grandparents- the middle one is of my Dad's parents, both first generation immigrants. The top one is of my Mom's Mom- it was her father I told you about being killed in VT for running rum during Prohibition. The bottom one is a picture of my Dad when he was little. I love the quality of old photographs, and how they capture the "time".
I am way too scared to post pictures of where I live after seeing Angela's home town-WOW
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Luise said...

these are great, kristen. i especially like the first one. does the wooden house still exist? i also love the fact that your grandma is wearing pants and boots, so cool!

Luise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luise said...

i just noticed that there's a swastika on the porch, why is that?

Kristen Donegan said...

Wow I never noticed that...well it looks backwards, so I'm guessing it's the native american symbol for the 4 wind directions. This was taken in New Brunswick Canada in the 30's and I'm pretty sure doesn't exist anymore (too bad huh)- She and my grandfather used to go hunting and fishing up there a lot. That symbol has been around for a long time before the Nazi's used it. you have very good eyes my dear!

Camilla Engman said...

She carries the german cross that's why she spotted it.

Love the grandma and cabin.

Luise said...

I know that the symbol is around for ages, I've seen it in India a lot. Yet it still feels kind of odd to see it, maybe it really is because I'm german, I don't know...

barbara said...

I guess germans and austrians are just very sensitive when it comes to that topic...

love your grandma in pants and boots, and your grandpa reminds me of charlie chaplin, who I adore.

;)