Oct 11, 2010

Cairn

I've been wanting to make some pictures from my trip to Ireland, and Queen Medb's Cairn on the summit of Knocknarea Mountain in Strandhill was my first choice. (She is also known as Queen Maeve if you anglicize her name.) Queen Medb's got an interesting story, a mixture of potential truths and a lot of mythology. But, what really surprised me is that it turns out she was killed by Furbaide with a piece of cheese. Yes, cheese. He used it as a missile to kill her while she bathed in a pool. I figure that part must be true.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, this was supposed to go on my Stay Curious blog, not here. Oh well, I'll post the same thing in two places. Sorry for the redundancy, those of you who look both places!

barbara said...

I don't mind seeing it twice, it's a nice picture and an interesting story.

Kristen Donegan said...

Yes- and I think you should draw a picture of what the cheese looked like as a missile...

Jasmin said...

must have been a chunk of parmesan cheese... I also like the story about renaming her sons

barbara said...

read the wikipedia page about her - holy moly, what a life story!